On July 20, 1871, sixteen local businessmen purchased the struggling local pottery, incorporated, capitalized the company for ,000, and began to expand its lines to produce white earthenware for table and toilet use. He was president of the local Merchant's National Bank, the Syracuse Iron Works, the Syracuse Gas and Light Company as well as the Geddes and Syracuse Street Railway. Clark was retained by the firm and promoted to superintendent of manufacturing. During 1873, the company dropped its reference to England and adopted the Great Seal of the State of New York to mark the improvements in its ironstone ware.
The decorating shop was destroyed by fire in 1886 and the pottery hired Walter and his employees and established "one of the earliest in-house decorating departments in the industry." Pass joined O. During his 28 years with the firm, he turned the company into a national leader in ceramic research.
During 1888, he developed America's first truly vitreous china body.
The majority of china at that time was imported from England and was considered superior to the earthenware produced in the United States.
English workers were at a premium until immigration laws tightened up and the potteries had to rely on American workers.
Until 1884, the company produced plain white, undecorated ware.
That year, Elmer Walter established the Boston China Decorating Works across the street from the pottery, giving the company access to a designer, printer and hand decorator. as superintendent and in later years he was named president.
Coykendall formed the Empire Crockery Manufacturing Company and envisioned a larger plant than Farrar's with a "mass production factory operation." Coykendall and a small group of backers worked together to raise capital.
On August 4, 1868, the group announced the sale of capital stock to the amount of ,000; however, they raised significantly less.
It was at this point, 45 years after the start of pottery production in Syracuse, that the business showed a stable and profitable prospect. He had come to the pottery in 1875 with his father.