Undoubtedly, exposed floors were covered by rugs, possibly woven by the women of the household.
Tapestries are likely to have decorated various walls as well, furnishing both aesthetically pleasing interior decor and insulation to reduce draft during the damp, cold months of winter.
One such house, the House of the Herms, excavated in 1949-1950, stands on the low heights above the islands harbor.
The ground-floor rooms were sumptuously decorated and surviving fragments of mosaic and wall painting from the second floor indicate that the interior decor at this level was equally refined.
While the front section of the house rose no higher, the architects added a split-level addition to the buildings south side, ascending two additional stories up the hill directly behind.
With thick walls of hand-hewn stone sealed with dried earth and plastered with stucco on both the exterior and interior faces, the house walls repelled the heat of the sun during the day by allowing only indirect light to penetrate interior rooms via the internal courtyard.
During winter the occupants would keep doorways to interior rooms closed and rely on lamps and small charcoal braziers to fend off the cold.
The sophisticated terrace design of the House of the Herms rendered it one of the largest, most well-conceived and solidly constructed houses on the island.
Several of its elements were arranged with breathtaking splendor.Beneath the paved floor of the courtyard was a deep cistern where the inhabitants would store rain water that was channeled by gutters along the roof of the peristyle to the corners of the court below.A marble sculpted wellhead enabled them to draw water from this storage facility.Along with intellectual accomplishments those of creature comforts represent a second significant benchmark for Greek civilization.By the end of the Hellenistic era Greek or Greco-Roman households attained a standard of comfort and permanence which was unsurpassed until modern times.Besides the museum quality piece by Praxiteles and a recovered Satyr head in the dining room, the ground-floor courtyard revealed a marble herm, a marble cult table, a statue of Artemis and, in the niche at the southwest corner of the court, a nymphaeum complete with a statue of a nymph and an adjoining grotto.